Saturday 31 January 2015

Animation of a Doodle (video)

scribbles from Peter Henderson - Systems Art on Vimeo.

This is just a short video of me scribbling one of my 'thinking' doodles. I find doodling helps me think. I made the initial video on my phone and then edited it to make an overlay of 16 copies, suitably flipped either vertically or horizontally.

The video editing is done with (more-or-less) the same script as I used to make the video Waterfall Sequence. In this case, the frame in the top right hand corner is the original doodle in its original orientation. I cut it down, to make it square so I could 'tile' with it, but also to excise some of the untidy edges of the doodle. Then I made 16 copies and overlaid them in orientations that guaranteed they would edge-match.

The pattern of tiles here is

V 1 V 1
2 H 2 H
V 1 V 1
2 H 2 H

where 1 is the original doodle, H is that doodle flipped horizontally (i.e. top to bottom), V is the original doodle flipped vertically and 2 is the doodle flipped both horizontally and vertically.

The editing was 'scripted' so that I could experiment with various clippings of the original doodle, see the overall effect, adjust the clip and rerun the script. While something as straightforward as this example could be achieved by direct manipulation in the editing suite, I find that scripting encourages me to experiment with more possibilities than either time or patience will usually allow.